On the Path of the Human Cockroach (fiction)
Somewhere near the end of the 10th century, a man traveled, on foot, from the city of Jeffrof to Merkzio. It’s no use looking on any map, these cities have long since disappeared from the face of the earth and have no existence save their historical one. The salient facts of Mancus’ expedition, however, are the following:
1. The distance from Jeffrof to Merkzio is roughly 400 kilometers.
2. Mancus started and ended the journey carrying no provisions, or even water, having decided to get all his nourishment from the lands he would cross during his travel.
3. Mancus was a member of an order of learned men, the Ollids, who were known to dabble in various arts having quasi-scientific roots.
4. The terrain of any path between the two cities is extremely varied, sporting mountains and valleys, marshland, deep forests and even a smallish desert.
So how did he survive? Specifically: what did he eat and drink? Mancus left behind an account of his travels, amongst which is the passage of Jeffrof to Merkzio. Mostly, his travel accounts are descriptions of people, laden with the ferocious judgments that he was prone to pass upon mankind. Mancus’ memoirs are an acidic read, dissolving any illusion that man is fit to govern himself and otherwise survive for long in a constantly changing world.
(...) Read more of 'On the Path of the Human Cockroach', a bizarro-style account of following in the footsteps of a 10th-century experimentor of biology.
Latest writings in English
- On the Path of the Human Cockroach - 24/05/2013
- Listen Now - 06/01/2013
- Runner's Porn - 25/06/2012
- The Meat Farm - 02/01/2012
- Simulation Interview - 30/12/2011
- Uniqueness, transpired - 18/03/2011
- Unfinished Reading - 17/02/2011
- Felicity - 01/11/2010
- Photo by the electric pole - 12/09/2010
- One-Chin and repetition - 14/04/2009
- Néomots - 15/10/2012
- Le métro à l'heure de pointe - 30/10/2011
- L'Homme du Moment - 05/10/2011
- Tout seul pour souffler les bougies - 02/05/2011
- Je ne veux pas mourir loin de chez moi - 14/11/2010
- La signature-satire - 07/11/2010
- La Boutique - 02/08/2010
- Frank et Francine - 15/06/2010
- Interview avec Ouanshine - 26/05/2010
- Le Musée de la Cognition - 05/03/2010
- Baisse de pression tire la voile - 28/02/2010
- Carpe Diem, sauf pas - 24/02/2010
- Retour à la forêt - 22/02/2010
- Le bac à sable - 31/01/2010
- Les amis de Hersha - 18/01/2010
Derniers écrits en français
A play about a Time Elevator that I wrote in 2007.